About the Clarion

About our Documents

Contact Us

Back to Home Page

Back to Club House Main Page

PURCHASE OF LAND FOR BUILDING SHEFFIELD CLARION CLUB HOUSE

In 1920 large parts of the Duke of Rutland's Derbyshire estate was sold off. Lot 351 comprising four enclosures of grazing land near Houndkirk Moor, Dore, consisting of 11 acres, 1 rood and 25 perches was sold for £420 to a Mr. Haysham on behalf of the Sheffield Clarion. The money was raised by selling £1 shares. Sheffield Clarion Club House was consequently built on this land and registered on 6th September 1920, under the Industrial Provident Societies Act of 1893.

Plan of club house land showing bridge beneath Hathersage Road

There is a bridge beneath the Hathersage Road, shown on the above map, through which the stream flows from Houndkirk Moor and on to the Clarion land. The bridge is situated on what was a very bad bend in the road. Accidents occurred here quite frequently. Up to 1850, many cyclists were involved in the accidents. This progressed to motorcyclists and then motor cars.

Here are accounts of two incidents connected to the bridge:

A car had damaged the bridge over the Christmas period of 1958. Two workmen - Bill White and Ted Emmett - were sent from the city engineers' department to repair it. Whilst taking out the loose stones prior to rebuilding they found 98 full sovereigns and 2 half sovereigns. The sovereigns were mainly dated 1800s; two were dated early 1900s. Bill and Ted handed the sovereigns over to the autorities and in due course received £316 each in cheques from the British Museum.

A not so pleasant piece of information is that two years later, in 1960, a motorcyclist came off his bike and was killed. After this the road was widened and improved.

 

LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE FOR SHEFFIELD CLARION CLUB HOUSE

Group photograph of members atttending for laying the foundation stone of the Sheffield Clarion Club House

Newspaper article about laying the foundation stone of Sheffield Clarion Club House

 

PLANS FOR BUILDING THE SHEFFIELD CLARION CLUB HOUSE

The map below shows the land, where the building was situated and where the many outdoor activities took place.

Clarion Club House building plan showing indoor and outdoor areas

Drinking water for the club house came from a natural spring. It was collected and stored in metal containers. The spring used is situated at the edge of Hounkirk Moor, across the road from where the end of Whitelow Lane meets Hathersage Road. Approximately 200 years ago the sping was called 'Whitelow Spring'. Today it has been covered over with a large slab of concrete by the water companies and can no longer be used by the passing public.

Water was heated in a large iron container, approximately 6 feet high, with a tap near the base. At the very bottom there was a space in which a coal fire could be lit. There were two of these water heaters - one near the stewards' accommodation and one in the tea room.

Lighting for the club house was by paraffin lamps. Some time after the 2nd world war, electricity was connected, but even then this only supplied electric to one light in the the stewards' accommodation.

The toilets were chemical toilets. They were situated a short way from the club house. At this time many houses in Sheffield had chemical toilets so the council supplied a frequent collection and disposal service.

Heating and cooking in the stewards' accommodation was an extra large fire range with two ovens. The tea room, the main room and the concert room were heated by a metal fire stove on a concrete base. Cooking by individual members was by paraffin stove - similar to those used today by campers.

For overnight accommodation, the ladies had iron bed frames and flock mattresses, the men, folding canvas beds. Fresh sheets were provided free, but charges were made for laundering. The bed covers were army blankets. The bedding was kept in a storage room which backed onto the stewards' fire range, thus keeping them free from damp. The ladies, girls and babies slept in the concert room and men and boys in the tea room. All beds, therefore, had to be cleared back into the storage room each day.

 

 

BACK TO TOP OF PAGE